Thursday, October 25, 2007

Trick or treat, smell my feet


For some obscure reason, our county holds the "trick-or-treat" part of Halloween on the Thursday prior, so we are venturing out tonight. Costumes are ready, bowl of candy is full.

I know I promised a book review and I do have one ready to go, but I just couldn't resist adding another treat for mommies. If you haven't seen The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976) starring a very young Jodie Foster and a very creepy and un-presidential Martin Sheen, get thee to the video store or check out Netflix and add it to your queue. It's a sleeper of a movie; very 70's, short (about 90 minutes) but oh, so tightly woven together. Not a moment is wasted. I was only 10 in 1976, so I'm sure I saw it later, syndicated on t.v. I loved it. Checked the original novel out of the library as soon as I could and devoured it.

A bright, independent girl takes on the the world with the help of an equally bright dark-haired boy. What's not to like? Besides, Rynn (Jodie Foster) has a great duffel coat! Last year I stayed up until 2 or 3 a.m. watching it on Turner Classic Movies. My sweet baboo/husband was quite annoyed. He got up to see what I was up to, watched a bit and proclaimed it a wretched movie. I guess there's just no accounting for taste or moral development. Rynn and her father are certainly quite evolved morally, reaching Kohlberg's social contract level; the end justifies the means kind of thing. If you can't quite wrap your head around that, do skip the movie. You just won't enjoy yourself. However, if you can imagine doing something heinous to protect yourself or the ones you love, don't hesitate to walk down the lane on this windy October day. Be respectful, don't meddle, and don't drink the tea if it comes with a side of almond cookies.

No comments: